OK. So I know it has been a looooooong time since I posted. Who knows, with my "new life" I started in this picture maybe I will begin posting again :)
This is me the day I quit sugar. Forever. No kidding. After discovering the damage sugar was doing to me (long story), I decided I had better just be done with it. So I decided to have a ceremony. I made a little package and decorated it with symbols on one side that represented what sugar does to my life, and on the other side with symbols that showed how I feel when I am free of that nasty little demon. I dropped a sugar cube inside and headed for the garden, where Tate had dug me a nice hole. My sister, my aunt, my cousin, and my daughter all stood as solemn as judges while I gave a little speech about the Anti-Nephi-Lehies, who buried their weapons and were willing to suffer even unto DEATH before they would risk taking up their former pernicious habits. Then I dropped my little package in the hole and covered it up. My cousin snapped this picture on her mom's phone. You know, I always have a hard time smiling for pictures. It feels so canned, so fake. It's hard, but I try. But this time my smile was as real as can be. I felt light, happy, free!
I have told some people about my little ceremony, and I laugh, I make light of it. I thought it was a cute funny little way to make my decision official. But I haven't been able to get anyone to laugh with me. So far every person I have told has stared at me with wide eyes! It took me a few times of doing this to realize that the thing that is on their minds is not the ceremony, but the idea of someone really quitting sugar. Always after a pause, they recover themselves and then say something really supportive about the commitment I made that day. And no one has laughed AT me. Not even a hint. That means a lot. It's funny I worried that people would pressure me or tell me I'm extreme, and I'm sure some will, but those who are close to me are cheering me on. I'm so thankful for good family and friends!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hello Talina, this is your cousin Phyllis. My new e-mail is greybull2015@gmail.com please get in touch.
Post a Comment